Astronomical School’s Report, 2020, Volume 16, Issue 2, Pages 43–47
Physical characteristics of space invasion
Zhilyaev B.E., Vidmachenko A.P., Steklov A.F.
The Main Astronomical Observatory of the NAS of Ukraine, 03143, Academician Zabolotny str., 27, Kyiv, Ukraine
This paper presents an example of the application of theoretical developments on some issues of physics of space invasion. The effect of brightness oscillations and “wobbling” in the meteor trail, which we discovered, allows us to obtain estimates of some characteristics of the meteor by measuring the frequency of changes in the brightness in the trace (fc) and meteoroid oscillations (fm), if its velocity and altitude are known. Based on the proposed “tuning technique”, it is possible to determine the characteristics of the meteor at one-sided observations. To do this, we set the initial parameters for the model of meteoroid dynamics by the coincidence of the calculated and measured values of the frequencies fc and fm. Our simulation allows us to find the altitude at which the ratio of frequencies fc/fm coincides with the value found in the explosion of a meteoroid. Using this “tuning technique” and assuming the mineral composition for the meteor, we found estimates of the initial velocity of 21 km/s and the mass of 850 kg of the meteoroid, which reached a critical value of surface speed at an altitude of about 20.9 km in about 7.9 s with a residual mass of about 13.9 kg and a residual speed of about 10.9 km/s. At that moment, the meteoroid exploded.
Keywords: space invasions, astronomical observations, photometry, meteors
- Prandtl L. (1925). Uspekhi Fizicheskikh Nauk, V, No. 1–2, 1–27.
- Zhilyaev B.E., Vidmachenko A.P., Steklov A.F. et al. (2020). The physics of space intrusions. I. Features of the trajectories. Astron. School's Report., 16, No. 1, 8–15. https://doi.org/10.18372/2411-6602.16.02
- Betz A. Introduction to the Theory of Flow Machines. Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1966.
- Slyuta E.N. (2017). Physical and Mechanical Properties of Stone Meteorites. Astronomical Bulletin, 51. – No. 1, 72–95.
- Collins G.S., Melosh H.J., Marcus R.A. (2005). Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 40, No. 6, 817–840. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1945-5100.2005.tb00157.x
- Downs B. Impact 4A Software. Meteor Atmospheric Flight, 1998. https://www.spaceacademy.net.au/watch/debris/metflite.htm
- Popova O.P., Sidneva S.N., Strelkov A.S., Shuvalov V.V. (2001). Formation of Disturbed Area Around Fast Meteor Body. Proc. of the Meteoroid 2001 Conf. 6–10 August 2001 (ESA SP-495, November 2001)., 237–245.
- Mehta C., Perez A., Thompson G., et al. (2018). Life, 8, No. 13. https://doi.org/10.3390/life8020013
- Campbell-Brown M.D., Koschny D. (2004). Astron. and Astrophys., 418, 751–758. https://doi.org/10.1051/0004-6361:20041001-1
- Dashkiev G.N., Zhilyaev B.E., Steklov A.F., et al. (2019). Interesting fireball invasion in the sky over Kiev. 50th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held 18–22 March, 2019 at The Woodlands, Texas. LPI Contribution No. 2132, id.1195. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2019LPI....50.1195D/abstract .
- Kondratyuk R.R., Zhilyaev B.E., Vidmachenko A.P., et al. (n.d.). Observations of daytime meteors. 20-th Gamow International Astronomical Conference-School “Astronomy and beyond: astrophysics, cosmology and gravitation, high energy physics, astroparticle physics, radioastronomy and astrobiology”, Ukraine, Odessa, August 9–16, 2020, 24–25. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020abac.conf...29K/abstract
- Mozghovyi O., Kondratyuk R.R., Zhilyaev B., et al. (2020). Tropospheric meteors. Astronomy and the present: materials of the IX All-Ukrainian scientific conference, April 13, 2020 / eds.: V.F. Zabolotny, O.V. Mozgovyi. – Vinnytsia: LTD “Tvory”., 18–23. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020aspr.conf...18M/abstract
- Steklov E.A., Steklov A.F., Vidmachenko A.P., Dashkiev G.N. (2017). Observations of Twilight Bolide with Using of “Churyumov Fireball Network”. 48th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held 20–24 March 2017, Woodlands, Texas. LPI Co. 1964, id.1327. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017LPI....48.1327S/abstract .
- Steklov A.F., Zhilyaev B.E., Vidmachenko A.P. (2018). Space invasion. As Is. 18-th Gamow Summer School “Astronomy and beyond: astrophysics, cosmology, cosmomicrophysics, astropartickle physics, radioastronomy and astrobiology”. August 12–18, 2018, Odessa, Ukraine., 49. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2018abac.conf...49S/abstract
- Zhilyaev B.E., Steklov A.F., Vidmachenko A.P., et al. (2020). Rarefaction waves in meteor traces. 51st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held 16–20 March, 2020 at The Woodlands, Texas. LPI Contribution No. 2326, 2020, id.1098. https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020LPI....51.1098Z/abstract .