Astronomical School’s Report, 2017, Volume 13, Issue 1, Pages 5–10
Spectrographic method for estimation of the heavy metal salts influence on the plants growth
Semeniv O.V.1, Lapchuk V.P.2
1Space Research Institute NASU & SSAU, Hlushkova Avenue 40, 03680 Kyiv, Ukraine
2Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Faculty of Physics, Hlushkova Avenue 4, 03127 Kyiv, Ukraine
The paper is devoted to the problem of the heavy metal salts influence on the plants spectral characteristics. Also in the article is described the procedure of remote passive sensing of vegetation state that can be used for developing environmental pollution detection algorithm. The investigation was consisted from two independent experiments: the first was aimed to study how various heavy metal salts are affecting the spectral characteristics of the Kalanchoe; the second – to study how different concentrations of harmful agents influence on the spectral properties of the dark green Ceratophyllum demersum. For mixes creation was used the following chemical agents: 1) FeSO4 (2.7 mol); 2) CsCl (4 mol); 3) ZnSO4 (3 mol); 4) MnCl2 (4 mol); 5) K2Cr2O7 (3 mol); 6) control sample. The spectral measurements were carried out with experimental box that consists of the led lamp and the portable spectral system based on the ASP-100 spectrometer. The leaves reflectance spectra after exposure to different heavy metals salts demonstrated sufficient changes in the form of a spectral curve after 24 hours. This effect allows to use reflectance spectra as identifier by remote methods. Also, the similar reactions occurred at different concentrations. To simplify the measurement procedure of harmful agents affects as physiological stress a contrast ratio was used. More informative and reliable indicator of the different concentrations and salts effect was found in the near infrared range (from 500 nm to 750 nm). This happens as the plants are not uniformly located in test tubes. Contrast ratio analysis showed that the most sensitive spectral bounds that maximally sense the harmful agent presence at environment are the ranges in 530 nm and 670 nm. A linear statistical relationship was observed between the plants physiological stress expressed by the pigment content and spectral parameters, that characterizing the leaves ability of light transmission and reflection. From the results of experimental observations followed that changes in the biological and spectral characteristics of a plant depend from a stress duration, a harmful agent concentration and the type of the agent.
Keywords: remote sensing; estimation; vegetation state; harmful agents
- Andreeva A., Buznikov A., Skryabin S. i dr. (2007). Issledovanie kharaktera izmeneniya opticheskikh kharakteristik rastitel’nosti pod vozdeystviem tyazhelykh metallov dlya razrabotki metoda distantsionnoy diagnostiki zagryazneniya. Sovremennye problemy distantsionnogo zondirovaniya Zemli iz kosmosa, 4(2), 175–182.
- Kancheva R., Iliev I., Borisova D., Gorgiev G. (2011). Rannee obnaruzhenie fiziologicheskogo stressa rastitel’nosti po mnogospektral’nym dannym. Sovremennye problemy distantsionnogo zondirovaniya Zemli iz kosmosa, 8(4), 319–326.
- Albayrak S. (2008). Use of reflectance measurements for the detection of N, P, K, ADF and NDF Contents in sainfoin pasture. Sensors, 8, 7275–7286. https://doi.org/10.3390/s8117275
- Delalieux S., Auwerkerken A., Verstraeten W., et al. (2009). Hyperspectral reflectance and fluorescence imaging to detect scab induced stress in apple leaves. Remote sensing, 1, 858–874. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs1040858
- Eunyoung C., Freek van der Meer, Frank van Ruitenbeek, et. al. (2008). Mapping of heavy metal pollution in stream sediments using combined geochemistry, field spectroscopy, and hyperspectral remote sensing: A case study of the Rodalquilar mining area, SE Spain. Remote Sensing of Environment, 112, 3222–3233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2008.03.017
- Greenwood N., Earnshaw A. (1997). Chemistry of the Elements (2nd ed.) Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK. 1600 p.
- Kogel J., Trivedi N., Barker J. (2006). Industrial Minerals & Rocks: Commodities, Markets, and Uses (7th ed.). Littleton: Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration. 1430 p.
- Lelong C.C.D., Roger J.M., Brégand S., et al. (2010). Evaluation of oil-palm fungal disease infestation with canopy hyperspectral reflectance data. Sensors, 10, 734–747. https://doi.org/10.3390/s100100734
- Podgorodetskaya L.V., Prutsko Y.V., Semeniv O.V. (2016). Farmland state estimation based on agrophytocenoses classification and remotes sensing satellite data. Journal of Automation and Information Sciences, 48(5), 55–63. https://doi.org/10.1615/jautomatinfscien.v48.i5.50
- Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry (2005). Wiley-VCH, Weinheim. 537 p. https://doi.org/10.1002/14356007
- Roto P., Sainio H., Reunala T., Laippala P. (1996). Addition of ferrous sulfate to cement and risk of chromium dermatitis among construction workers. Contact Dermatitis, 34(1), 43–50. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0536.1996.tb02111.x
- Rosso P., Pushnik J., Mui L., Ustin S. (2005). Reflectance properties and physiological responses of Salicornia virginica to heavy metal and petroleum contamination. Environmental Pollution, 137, 241–252. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2005.02.025
- Semeniv O.V. (2015). Vegetation state estimation based on the Fourier analysis of remote sensing data. Astronomical School's Reports, 11, 56–60. https://doi.org/10.18372/2411-6602.11.1056
- Smith K., Steven M., Colls J. (2004). Use of hyperspectral derivative ratios in the red-edge region to identify plant stress responses to gas leaks. Remote Sensing of Environment, 92, 207–217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2004.06.002
- Zarco-Tejada P.J., Berni J.A.J., Suárez L., et al. (2009). Imaging chlorophyll fluorescence with an airborne narrow-band multispectral camera for vegetation stress detection. Remote Sensing of Environment, 113, 1262–1275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2009.02.016
- Zumdahl S.S. (2009). Chemical Principles (6th Ed.) Houghton Mifflin Company. 450 p.
- Zyelyk Y., Yatsenko V., Nabivach V., Semeniv O., Pidgorodetska L. (2013). Creation of a Calibration Test Site of Subsatellite Support. Journal of Automation and Information Sciences, 45 (12), 48–65. https://doi.org/10.1615/jautomatinfscien.v45.i12.50