Astronomical School’s Report, 2012, Volume 8, Issue 2, Pages 195–199
Fluorescent continuum and characteristic scales of parent and daughter molecules in the coma of comet C/2009 K5 (McNaught) for spectral observations in March–April 2010
Churyumov K.I., Ponomarenko V.O., Kleshchonok V.V., Baransky O.R., Lukyanyk I.V.
Astronomical Observatory, Kyiv Shevchenko National University, Ukraine
Six middle-resolution optical spectra of comet C/2009 K5 (McNaught) were obtained from 27 March to 2 April 2010 with the help of the 2-m Zeiss reflector and echelle-spectrograph of the High-mountain astronomical station “Terskol” of Institute of Astronomy of Russian Academy of Sciences and Main Astronomical Observatory of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. The comet was at heliocentric distance 1.5 A.U. and geocentric one 1.4 A.U. and had the integral magnitude equal to T≈11m. We present the energy distribution in the spectra of comet С/2009 К5 and the energy distribution of comet emissions along the slit of the spectrograph. Some physical parameters of the neutral coma of comet were calculated with the help of Haser's models. The detailed identification of the spectral emission lines in these spectra were obtained. Presence of luminescent continuum in the spectra of comet С/2009 К5 is discussed and some physical parameters of luminescent continuum were calculated.
Keywords: comet C/2009 K5 (McNaught); spectrum; emission lines; luminescent continuum
- Shul'man L.M. (1970). Distribution of neutral matter density in the cometary atmosphere. Astrometry and Astrophysics (in Russian), 11, 26–30.
- Churyumov K.I., Lukyanyk I.V., Afanasiev V.L., et al. (2002). Exploration of the Comet 19/P Borrelly spectra, obtained with the MPFS and Scorpio of 6-m Telescope on Aug. 2001. Proceedings of Asteroids, Comets, Meteors (Technical University Berlin. – Germany)., 657–660.
- Lukyanyk I.V., Churyumov K.I., Afanasiev V.L., et al. (2002). Observation of Spectra and Monochromatic Images of Comet C/2001 A2 (LINEAR). Proceedings of Asteroids, Comets, Meteors (Technical University Berlin. – Germany)., 717–720.
- Picazzio E., de Almeida A., Churyumov K.I., Andrievskii S.M., Lukyanyk I.V. (2002). The Optical Spectroscopy and Near Infrared Observations of Comet C/2000 WM1 (Linear) in December, 2001 in Chile and Brazil. Earth, Moon and Planets, 90, 23-32.7. https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1021594603149
- Churyumov K.I., Ponomarenko V.O., Kleshchonok V.V., Mozgova A.M., Kuznetsov M.A. (2012). Optical spectroscopy of comet 103Р/Hartley 2 on October 2010. Astronomical School’s Report, 8(1), 91–95. https://doi.org/10.18372/2411-6602.08.1091
- Churyumov K.I., Ponomarenko V.O., Kleshchonok V.V., Baransky O.R., Kovalenko N.S. (2012). Exploration of spectra of comet 81P/Wild 2 observed in March–April 2010. Astronomical School’s Report, 8(1), 75–79. https://doi.org/10.18372/2411-6602.08.1075